Warm home discount
For winter 2013 to 2014 you could get a one-off £140 discount on your electricity bill through the UK Government’s Warm Home Discount Scheme.
For example, you qualify for the discount if on the ‘qualifying day’ (12th July 2014) your supplier was part of the scheme, your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill and you were either:
- 75 or over and getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit)
- Under 75 and only getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (you won’t qualify if you also get Savings Credit).
If you don’t qualify
Some suppliers are now offering the discount to a wider group of people. For example:
- those on a low income where 10% or more of income is spent on heating the home
- residents in receipt of multiple benefits
- low income households with mental/physical disability/illness or with some degree of vulnerability
Each suppplier has their own rules about who else (known as the ‘broader group’) can get this help.
Check with your supplier if you meet their rules for broader group help and how to apply for it, or contact the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 336699